|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
|Passive Time||5 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flower
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups broccoli florets diced
- 2 each Carrots diced
- 1/2 each Onion diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese grated
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tbsp butter, diced onion and saute over medium heat until the onion is transparent. This should take place in 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom pot add 4 tbsp butter, flour and cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, whisk constantly until thickened.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking in constantly
- Slowly add the half and half, whisking constantly
- Allow mixture to simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or wait until it has reduced. Whisk intermittently to re-incorporate.
- While mixture is simmering, chop the broccoli and carrots. After simmering 15 to 20 minutes, add the carrots, broccoli, onions and garlic.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, dry mustard and cayenne, stir to combine.
- Allow soup to simmer over low heat for 20 - 25 minutes, or until it has reduced and thickened. Whisk intermittently to re-incorporate.
- Grate the cheese and incorporate into soup.
- Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Transfer soup to bowls, garnish and serve.